According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 12 percent of Americans move to new homes every year, with 3 million moves from one state to another and 800,000 of those moves handled by a professional mover. As the nation kicks off National Moving Month to start the busy summer moving season, here are five tips to ensure you have a safe and successful move.
1. Be wary of any “guaranteed” estimates offered over the phone or online. Make sure you show the mover everything that needs to be moved, and get at least three estimates to compare. Avoid any that are too high or too low.
2. Check the company’s ratings with the Better Business Bureau, and ask family and friends for referrals.
3. Make sure all agreements are in writing, and get a copy of everything you sign, especially the bill of lading. Never sign any blank forms.
4. Ask questions if you don’t understand something, and make sure your mover has your cell phone number to reach you.
5. Find a certified professional mover.